This is neither a sauce, gravy nor rub but that’s where it is categorized since I have no Seasoning category … yet. I prefer to call it TexMex instead of Mexican and since it is my blog then it is TexMex! There are hundreds of variations of this recipe on the Internet and I chose to slightly adapt one posted by a user named, awalde, in 2011 on Food.com.
Use this as an alternative to packaged taco seasoning. Use it to flavor fried eggs. It is especially good to season fish or shrimp to be used in seafood tacos. If you prefer Low Sodium then eliminate the Salt altogether.
- 1 teaspoon chili powder ( add more if you like)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked salt (or Sea Salt or Kosher Salt)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pinch ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch ground cloves
Mix together ingredients thoroughly in a bowl and store in a cool place in an airtight container.